Re: OpenSSH not logging denied public keys, even with logging set to verbose.

On 03/01/12 21:16, Mike Mestnik wrote:
> On 03/01/12 21:00, Bedwell, Jordon wrote:

>>> secure, Joe could put Bob as his comment...
>>>
>>> However one could so a look-up on the key from a key-server and get the
>>> email address that way.  This is assuming that ppl are using there
>>> gpg(email) keys for ssh.
>> I don't know if the chroot idea is legitimate or not, but i went ahead
>> and started a logger in /run/sshd/dev/log and there were still no logs
>> for publickey denied, and if this idea was actually for sure true, why
>> would it show successful logins in the log and not unsuccessful logins
>> in the log?
>>
> I don't know the details, but I've done this and was then able to track
> down my kerberos issues.  Unsuccessful logins might not ever leave the
> chroot, they exit there and then.  Successful logins get a return
> somehow, likely via a pipe created earlier.
>
> It seams like this isn't working for you.  That's when I start ssh on
> another port under an strace...
>
> strace -f sshd -p 222
>
> Plus whatever other options.  Then ssh to port 222 and get the log of
> what happens...  This is how I originally discovered where I needed to
> place my syslog socket.

This document says /var/empty, that would make it /var/empty/dev/log.
Use strace to check where the chroot is or set the location in the
sshd_config file, assuming there is an option for that.

http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/ssh/privsep.html