Re: how to fix rootkit?

On 02/08/12 02:41, Laurentiu Pancescu wrote:
> On 2/8/12 09:53 , volk@lab127.karelia.ru wrote:
>> Today I found next things at squeeze. Please help to fix, I've no
>> experience in such tasks.
>
> As Fabian already mentioned, you cannot know what an attacker changed
> in the system (especially now that chkrootkit found a rootkit),
> therefore you cannot trust anything on the system that you might use
> for "repairing" it. The only way is to do a clean reinstall and
> restore user data from backup. You could also get the configuration
Any data restored from backup _ESPECIALLY_ user data in /home is a great
place to stash away back-doors.  WordPress and the like are easy to
infiltrate and compromise.

You should instead do a bare metal restore and then scan for compromised
files.  Keep going further and further back till your system is clean.
No clean backup, it's like the server died and there is no backup.
Nothing you can do, say that all data was lost and rebuild...  Next time
keep backups permanently, every three months for a year and then one
yearly backup kept permanently is a good technique.

As far as what I would do prior to a restore look at my other posts.