Re: status of introducing security mechanisms in Debian

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 01:33:12PM +0100, mircan@poczta.onet.pl wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm writing with reference to security test performed by MWR Labs last
> year. To avoid writing too much I'll just give links to the articles
> describing the tests:
> http://labs.mwrinfosecurity.com/notices/security_mechanisms_in_linux_environment__part_1___userspace_memory_protection/
> http://labs.mwrinfosecurity.com/notices/assessing_the_tux_strength_part_2_into_the_kernel/

Including compile time hardening options has been discussed for a long
time, but efforts is probably laking of people willing to push it. You can
see some historical pages on the wiki [1].

Seems that this might be a release goal for weezy, or at least it will
probably be discussed at the next debconf as the debian security team
stated in their last mail on debian-devel-announce after their last
meeting [2].

I've myself begin to bug report [3] against some packages to include
hardening-wrapper in the build-deps after having almost sucesfully rebuild
most of the packages available in the main section. Since then, Im waiting
the debconf to see the path that will be choosen to implement this
features.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Hardening
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/01/msg00006.html
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=hardening;users=debian-security@lists.debian.org