Re: Question related to FDE (Full Disk Encryption) solution under Linux Debian Lenny

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 17:47, Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
Hi,

Thomas Nguyen Van wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but Mandos only works on a LAN according to the technical overview (http://wiki.fukt.bsnet.se/wiki/Mandos#Architectural_Overview).

Just a LAN or can it be ANY routeable address, via the Internet?

Since Mandos-client runs right after booting but before loading the system (just /boot), it uses Zeroconf to get some network configuration and find the Mandos-server. If you had a LAN connected with some other network via VPN (the VPN is already established), you might have the Mandos-server on a different location. Otherwise, I think it will not be easy or maybe even not doable at all (I haven't seen anything related in the zeroconf webpage[1])

[1] http://www.zeroconf.org/

Best Regards,

--
Jonás Andradas

Skype: jontux
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/andradas
GPG Fingerprint:  678F 7BD0 83C3 28CE 9E8F
                           3F7F 4D87 9996 E0C6 9372
Keyservers:  pgp.mit.edu | pgp.rediris.es