Re: Upcoming changes in advisory format

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 01:08:07PM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:

> Traditionally Debian security advisories have included MD5 check sums
> of the updated packages.

> Since apt cryptographically enforces the integrity of the archive
> for quite some time now, we've decided to finally drop the hash
> values from our advisory mails.

The side-effect of that is that you are now listing only the source
package name, and not anymore the binary package names. But to do the
upgrade, the administrator of the machine has to select the binary
packages for upgrade, or, to check if the testing/sid version the
machine has is new enough, check the installed version of all binary
packages built from that source package.

So I suggest you list the affected binary packages. Yes, that
information is available from
e.g. http://packages.debian.org/src:PACKAGE, but the admin might not
know that, etc.

--