Re: Starting point for contributing to debian-security

On Monday 03 January 2011, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On mar., 2010-12-21 at 22:52 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > Starting january, I think I'll be able to dedicate some time to
> > debian security team.

Very nice.

> Ok, so we're now at beginning of january :)
>
> Is there any starting specific point on which help/time would be
> needed? I know a “call for help” is supposed to happen but in the
> meantime some documentation on what is needed and how would help
> :)

Useful first steps are

- read [1]
- apply to the secure-testing alioth project
- get to know the security-tracker and the process of tracking
security issues by checking some new issues

But I think you have done those already. Therefore I suggest you mail
team@security.debian.org and we will think of some way for you to get
started.

One thing that comes to my mind would be to test source format 3.0
support with the new dak on security-master: Pick an open issue in
squeeze from [2], which is in a source format 3.0 package and is not
going to be fixed by migration from unstable soon. It would be good if
you know the package well enough to test it, too. Then prepare a NMU
patch for that package. Then you should probably send us the diff,
though you may want to read [3], too. I think it's still up-to-date
(but the how-to-DTSA linked from there isn't).

[1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/secure-
testing/doc/narrative_introduction?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
[2] http://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/status/release/testing
[3] http://testing-security.debian.net/uploading.html