Re: question regarding verification of a debian installation iso

Nothing easier than that : Go to the downloadpage where you found the iso, there or in a nearby directory (like http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.7/i386/iso-cd/MD5SUMS) can find the
sum for your iso.
Then cd to the location of your download and do : md5sum  YourDebian.iso.
That string has to match the one you looked up , so iso is not corrupted.
Thats an easy task, and people on irc , either #debian or #ubuntu can respond to such
questions better then by email.
Clean install and a good year, Martin Schulz, DasEi (irc-nick)

Hi,

thanks for your effort, but the http protocol which transports me the MD5SUMS file (well preferably one of the other hashing algorithms, since md5 is considered broken) provides no authentication nor verification of the communication, so the procedure you propose could at best be used to check accidental corruption of the file, where I try to find some protection agains deliberate tampering. Hence the relation to the subject of security. The reason I prefer email is that my temperament is rather undiplomatic, which is worsened severely on faster chat mediums.

greetz and a good year,
naja melan