Re: Debian LTS?

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 11:17:33AM -0700, Ryan Hiebert wrote:
> > Isn't it called "stable" ?
> I was thinking that too, but reading the link, it seems that the
> idea for LTS is 5 years.  Currently a distribution is supported
> while it is stable, plus the time the security team will support it
> in oldstable before it is archived.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOldStable says that oldstable is usually maintained for about a year.
>
> IIRC, the current release schedule has stable releases 2 years
> apart, so total maintenance time is 2 years (stable) + 1 year
> (oldstable) = 3 years.

Which is only true for the first time you installed it because if you
continue with oldstable for another year you lose one year of the new
stable release so you have only two years left.
In other words: You have always 2 years but you have one chance to
keep it for 3 years.

greets Jimmy

--
                 Andreas "Jimmy" Gredler