RE: security updates using ftp

Gentlemen,

You are both clearly right, and you have given me the clues to put it together. For some reason I need to use active-mode rather than passive-mode ftp. I did away with the proxy file, and created a simple /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ftp file with one directive and subscope:

Acquire
{
   ftp
   {
      passive "false";
   };
};

Adam, your observation about the IP address proved vital. I do not know why I am being redirected, but replacing the domain name with IP addresses proved necessary.

Phibo your suggestion to use wget lead me to the discovery that passive fpt was not working.

With your input and the examples in /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz, I was able to resolve this. This was all because I wanted to get the Apache update, and just figured it was time to make apt retrieve the updates.

For anyone else that may be following this, in addition to the above file, my /etc/apt/sources.list now reads:

deb ftp://130.89.149.226/debian squeeze main
deb ftp://128.31.0.36/debian-security/ squeeze/updates main

I imagine anyone using a properly functioning name server will not have to use IP addresses. And I've discovered a problem with that of my organization.

Thanks to both of you!

Nelson