Re: Number of apache2 process > MaxClients ?

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:06:51 -0400
Min Wang <ser.basis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have apache2.conf using prefork with MaxClient setting to 30 ( on
> Lenny)
>
> but on system I saw more than 100 apache2 processes
>
> Isn't the MaxClients supposed to limit total apache2 processes to be
> 30?
>
> Something may be wrong/security issue?
>

> # pstree
>
> init-+-apache2-+-94*[apache2---{apache2}]
>      |         `-7*[apache2]
>

> /etc/apache2.conf
>
> # prefork MPM
> <IfModule prefork.c>
> StartServers         5
> MinSpareServers      5
> MaxSpareServers     10
> MaxClients          30
> MaxRequestsPerChild  0
> </IfModule>

Mine "/etc/apache2/apache2.conf" (on Lenny) contains this section:

<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
    StartServers          5
    MinSpareServers       5
    MaxSpareServers      10
    MaxClients          150
    MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>

so may be you should try adjusting the IfModule argument?

The Apache page [1] also lists "mpm_prefork_module" under "module
identifier".

1. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/prefork.html