Re: Any Account Logs In With Any Password

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Michael Loftis wrote:
> checks prior to this indicate a soft success.  If you remove
> authentication from your system, its expected that any attempt to
> access will pass, barring and specific denial.

If I remove authentication from my system, I expect it to tell me to get
lost, as that is the _only_ safe failure scenario.  Recovery is supposed to
be done through single-user mode and sulogin in that case (if you don't have
a root window already open somewhere, that is).

This fail-unsafe behaviour looks like it is a "feature" of the default
config being shipped in /etc/pam.d/common-*.  I wonder what is the
justification behind that decision...

  Henrique Holschuh