Re: Debian 4.0 Upgrade Path

On Thursday 21 January 2010 09:39:14 Thiemo Nagel wrote:
> having read your email concerning the termination of etch security
> support, I'm looking for an upgrade path for our installation of ~100
> machines.
>
> Is it planned to start squeeze security support in time to allow a
> direct 4.0 --> 6.0 upgrade?

Skipping a release is not a supported upgrade path.  Etch -> Lenny + (reboot
into new kernel) + Lenny -> Squeeze will be supported.  I see that in later
messages you clarify that this wouldn't be a upgrade situation but rather a
new install + replace situation, but I still wanted to stress what upgrades
are/aren't supported.

I don't recommend replacing infrastructure with Squeeze until it is released.
Until then, a "simple" safe-upgrade might still be quite disruptive, depending
on what packages it hits.  While freeze is supposed to cut down on this,
exceptions can be made during freeze time.

I don't think testing has quite the level of security support as stable for
now.  Usually, this doesn't happen until near or at freeze time, since before
then testing can get security fixes via automatic migration from unstable.
I've been watching debian-security-announce and debian-announce and I haven't
seen the security team claim full support for Squeeze, yet, but I could have
missed it.