Re: Debian 4.0 Upgrade Path

Dear Eduardo,

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
On Qui, 21 Jan 2010, Thiemo Nagel wrote:
having read your email concerning the termination of etch security support, I'm looking for an upgrade path for our installation of ~100 machines.

Is it planned to start squeeze security support in time to allow a direct 4.0 --> 6.0 upgrade?

I doubt so, since squeeze is still a relatively long way from being released. Certainly not in the next month.

The last time I checked, the freeze was scheduled for March. If I'm not mistaken, usually security support starts some time before the final release. So it's a rather narrow gap to be bridged (at least in my imagination).

And I believe a direct upgrade 4.0 -> 6.0 is not supported by Debian, major releases cannot be skipped.

I'm not talking of an upgrade in the sense of 'apt-get dist-upgrade', we'll be doing fresh installations with the new version. However, it would save both administrators and users a huge amount of work, if we could deploy squeeze now (one transition) instead of deploying lenny now and squeeze a year from now (two transitions).

Cheers!

Thiemo
--
| Dipl.-Phys. Thiemo Nagel          |                          |