Re: Bind security announce

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:

On 12/29/2010 03:34 AM, Account for Debian group mail wrote:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED
  bind9 bind9-host bind9utils dnsutils libbind9-50 libisccfg50
  base-files bind9-doc dpkg dpkg-dev dselect krb5-doc libaprutil1 libc6
libc6-amd64 libc6-dev libc6-dev-amd64 libc6-i686
  libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libkadm55 libkrb5-dev libkrb53 liblwres50
libpq5 libssl-dev libssl0.9.8 libxml2 libxml2-dev
  linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 linux-libc-dev locales openssl postgresql-client
postgresql-client-8.3 postgresql-doc
  postgresql-doc-8.3 tzdata
32 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 62.6MB of archives.
After this operation, 5464kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Look at this! it wants to REMOVE "bind9 bind9-host bind9utils dnsutils
libbind9-50 libisccfg50".

What is going wrong here?

Try to use aptitude, it makes smarter decisions when solving package
dependencies than apt/dselect

# aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade

Are you saying that dselect is no longer usefull on doing security upgrades? I've been using dselect for over 15 years doing just that. The only time I've used aptitude is for doing major version upgrades. If there is a problem with dselect let's get it fixed or remove it from use.

Thanks,

Ken