Re: non-executable stack (via PT_GNU_STACK) not being enforced

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, Jordan Metzmeier <titan8990@gmail.com> wrote:
> That may have been somewhat out of context, but from my experience on
> #debian IRC, many uses do still run on hardware. I saw two different
> people this week wanting to install debian via floppy for example.

My collection of computers includes a very nice Thinkpad T41p with a 1.7GHz
Pentium-M CPU which lacks PAE.  I don't use it much at the moment as it has a
defective LCD screen and a laptop with an external display isn't as useful.
But it would be good to have NX protection on such systems.

Such protection is useful for desktop systems as they typically manipulate a
lot of data from untrusted sources (such as videos from the net).  It's also
useful for low end servers which tend to not be updated very often.

It is possible to have a non-executable stack on systems without PAE, there
are several implementations of this.  But Linus apparently never liked any of
the patches.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog