Re: Linux 2.6 update for Etch

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:53:14 +0200 Peter Pentchev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, apologies if this is sent to the wrong list, or if this
> information is already available somewhere; also, I'm aware that
> security support for Debian Etch ended a couple of days ago.
>
> In the recent DSA-1996-1 for the linux-2.6 package vulnerabilities,
> there was the following sentence:
>
>   For the oldstable distribution (etch), these problems, where
>   applicable, will be fixed in updates to linux-2.6 and linux-2.6.24.
>
> Now, since we several servers that we are currently in the process of
> migrating to Lenny, but the migration will not be complete for at
> least several more weeks (and yes, I know this is our own fault :),
> I'd just like to ask if there's any timeframe on when the Etch
> updates for the linux-2.6 package shall be released - without meaning
> to hurry anybody or to be pushy or something; I'm quite aware of
> all the work that goes into maintaining security updates across
> multiple versions of multiple packages on ooooold distributions,
> and the security team has my sincere thanks and condolences for all
> the work they have to do so we can sleep soundly :)
>
> Or maybe I'm missing something and the Etch update has already been
> released?  But the only updated package I can see at
> http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/l/ is the "latest" one -
> linux-latest-2.6_6etch3; but from what I can see, it builds
> the linux-image-2.6-amd64_2.6.18+6etch3 package, which just depends on
> linux-image-2.6.18-6-amd64 (the actual kernel), and the actual kernel
> at http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/l/linux-2.6/ seems
> to still be at version 2.6.18.dfsg.1-26etch1 from November 5, 2009.
>
> Am I missing something, or is it just a question of manpower and time?
> If the latter, sorry if this mail comes through as pushy - it's really
> not meant to be!
>
> Again, thanks to the security team for all their hard work!
> Please CC me on replies, since I'm not subscribed to this list.

you didn't miss anything.  the update is in the works, and will be
released with the next etch point release (as seen in some other mailing
list; which one, i don't remember). the release team would be a better
place to ask about when that is going to happen, but if they haven't
announced anything publicly yet, then they probably have yet to set a
date.

mike