Re: rootkit not found by rkhunter

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 12:10:04 -0400 Thomas Krichel wrote:

>   Michael S Gilbert writes
>
> > 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' followed by a reboot into the new
> > kernel should bring you up to date.
>
>   Since I just download the kernel last week I did not really
>   believe your advice but I have rebooted and the problem appears
>   gone!

right, kernel updates do not apply until after reboot.  the latest
kernel images no longer warn about this, which has lead to an increased
number of users opting not to reboot after upgrade (at least from
the volume of similar resolutions to postings on this list recently).

kernel team, would it be possible to get this warning reintroduced or
added to the notification daemon?  we want to keep users informed about
the actions they need to take to stay secure, right?

mike