Re: Out of office replies

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 07:15:30 -0500
"Jim Popovitch" <yahoo@jimpop.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Izak Burger <isburger@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > our own auto-reply exim router (as requested by clients) checks for
> > about 16 different headers
>
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 06:44, Dusty Wilson <dusty@hey.nu> wrote:
> [snip]
> > I understand that it takes both sides to fix the problem:  mailing
> > list software to send the headers to be obvious that there shouldn't
> > be an auto-reply, mailserver software to read the headers and
> > therefore not auto-reply.
>
> Bah!!   Headers change over time.   The simple and easy way to solve
> OoO problems is for vacation responders to only reply to From:/Sender:
> if (and only if) To: == $recipient.

This will not work since you got e.g. in Exchange virtuell recipients
and I know people that really likes to register on ML etc. with these
addresses on the one hand and setting these messages on the other side.
To avoid such things the first step needs to be done on user side e.g.
forcing them to create folders for lists and setting such rules only
folder wide. But I doubt this will be very successful as well as you
can educate everybody around.

Cheers,
Frank
--