Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 1888-1] New openssl packages deprecate MD2 hash signatures

[ Please Cc me on replies, thanks. ]

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:37:22PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Certificates with MD2 hash signatures are no longer accepted by OpenSSL,
> since they're no longer considered cryptographically secure.

looking at ca-certificates it would affect those certs from the Mozilla
truststore:

Verisign_Class_1_Public_Primary_Certification_Authority.crt
Verisign_Class_2_Public_Primary_Certification_Authority.crt
Verisign_Class_3_Public_Primary_Certification_Authority.crt
Verisign_RSA_Secure_Server_CA.crt

Those are Root CAs with MD2 signatures on them.  This does not mean that they
use MD2 to sign others, of course.  Are those an attack vector and ought those
to be dropped from the package?  Especially as we store them on the user's
system it should not be possible to spoof another key with a hash collision
as only the one on disk should be trusted?

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Stable Release Manager