Re: HEAD's UP: possible 0day SSH exploit in the wild

Sebastian Posner, Wed Jul 08 2009 23:18:43 GMT+0200 (CEST):
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to force keys AND passwd verification?
>
> Normally you'd want to DISABLE PasswordAuthentication and ChallengeResponseAuthentication - unless you have a special and well-maintained setup like e.g. One-Time-Pads or such - because both can potentially be brute-forced way faster than SSH-keys.

Why not using PasswordAuthentication and/or
ChallangeResponseAuthetication like opie/otpw/freeauth? I think its
better then passwordless ssh keys and strong passwords and fail2ban
should help against brute-force.

PJ