Handling personal/self(WebOfTrust) pgp/gpg private keys.

Are there any guide lines for the Web-Of-Trust projects surrounding
Debian or in general?  I have had a number of problems with private keys
over these past years that I've used PKI, forgetting the password,
loosing(what partition/server/drive) the file, drive corruption,
accidental deletes.  I've recently lost my job and thus my work related
pgp key that I've used for my work email address and several work
related PKIs.  Thus I'm at a point where I can once again start fresh
and not wanting to repeat previous mistakes I wanted to get some vector
on what are good ideas and what ideas would sound good but be vary bad.