Re: HELP !! Can not connect as root because LDAP is broken

hi !

you should have a root account in /etc/passwd ?
try to boot with a live CD, backup your /etc/nsswitch.conf, remove all
ldap entry in this file. You should just have :

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

Reboot.

Additionnaly you can reset the password of the root account, by
modifying /etc/passwd file. your first should be :

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

delete the x to obtain the following line :

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

now you can login with root account without password and re install your
package.

Julien.