Re: /dev/shm/r?

Hello,

there are few chances of replacing sshd without being root. In your place i would install every server new.

I think, he spied out passwords and maybe got root-Passwords in this way. Possibly he has even accessed servers where you didn't find him and left backdoors there. (manipulation of ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, another user with userid 0, replaced software, replaced suid-accesses, added software, ...)

When you reinstall your servers think of not using Login+Password but public-private key for user authentication. You can even forward such a combination. But be aware, that if key forwarding is enabled it can be used by attackers too. You should then protect the private key by password and use it only from trusted machines. Avoid keyforwarding unless you need it, for instance when copying files from one server to the other it could be useful. Lock your trusted working computer always when leaving it and think of encrypting the filesystem. (Be aware that a local attacker can install a password sniffer even if you encrypted your system partition)

good luck and think of not accessing the new installed computers from old ones ...
Regards,
Guntram