Re: security advice wanted for home server

I would use public key and fail2ban

D.

On Feb 27, 2009, at 14:05 , Tom Allison wrote:

Better to use public/private key authentication than to rely on passwords.

On Feb 27, 2009, at 7:41 AM, Sébastien NOBILI <sebnewsletter@free.fr> wrote:

Le vendredi 27 février 09 à 10:43, andy baxter a écrit :
I can make sure that the server doesn't have any incoming ports open
except http and ssh)

I would use another port than 22 for the SSH. If your machine's ports are being scanned and it appears port 22 is open, then you'll probably have a
lot of brute-force attacks to SSH.
Personally, I redirected on my router a high port number (1234, for
example) to port number 22 of my home server. No more brute-force attacks.

Just in case you didn't think about it, restrict SSH access to certain
users, in /etc/ssh/sshd_config :
  PermitRootLogin no
  AllowUsers your_login

andy.