Re: Why is su preserving the environment?

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 11:07 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> The question is whether we can consider safe to pass authentication
> tokens as environment variables. Either we do, and we fix applications
> that pass environment where they shouldn’t. Either we don’t, and we have
> to find another way to pass them.

You can easily get the environment of a process (of when the process
started or the actual value depending on the application) by giving ps
the e option.

It seems this information is from /proc/<pid>/environ but I don't think
all *nixes properly protect the environment. So in general I would say
not to put authentication tokens into the environment.

However, most applications that do something like that put a reference
to the authentication token in the environment (e.g.
XAUTHORITY=/tmp/.gdm0QI8NZ) which is ok as long as the access to the
real token (socket mostly) is protected.

--
-- arthur - adejong@debian.org - http://people.debian.org/~adejong --