From: Nico Golde <debian-security+ml@ngolde.de>
Date: 2008/8/27
Subject: Re: Password leaks are security holes
To: Johan Walles <johan.walles@gmail.com>
Kopia: 311772@bugs.debian.org, control@bugs.debian.org

Hi Johan,
* Johan Walles <johan.walles@gmail.com> [2008-08-27 22:26]:
> severity 311772 critical
> tag 311772 + security
> thanks
>
> When users' clear text passwords are logged, that's a security hole.
>
> Setting severity to critical since this bug "introduces a security
> hole on systems where you install the package".  Quote is from the
> definition of the critical severity at
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities.

No its not, if you edit your credit card number as a user
name this is also not the applications fault.

"makes unrelated software on the system (or the whole
system) break, or causes serious data loss, or introduces a
security hole on systems where you install the package."
This doesn't say anything about users not being able to use
the software in a proper way.

Cheers
Nico
--