Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 1571-1] New openssl packages fix predictable random number generator

On Wed, 14 May 2008, Nick Boyce wrote:
> This is the best explanation I've seen so far :
> http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=551636&cid=23392602
>
> I have no idea if it's correct, but it sounds very plausible.

It is incorrect.  Close, but incorrect.

> If there was any mistake it may have been to try too hard to get a
> warning-free run from valgrind.

Especially when dealing with a badly signaled landmine zone like OpenSSL...

> As the /. post says, "Hats off to the reviewer who picked up on the
> problem".

Indeed.  Running millions of machines on what basically is a small set
of keys (in other words, brute-forceable) is no joke.  We will be
feeling the repercusions of this one for a few years.

It is probably worth a lot of effort to fully map the entire set of keys
the broken openssl could generate, and find a very fast way to check if
a key belong to that set.  And add that to openssl upstream (to
automatically fail any verification done using such keys).

  Henrique Holschuh