Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 1571-1] New openssl packages fix predictable random number generator

Hello,

Am Dienstag, 13. Mai 2008 schrieb Corey Hickey:
> Jan Luehr wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Am Dienstag, 13. Mai 2008 schrieb Vincent Bernat:
> >> OoO En ce  début d'après-midi nuageux du mardi 13  mai 2008, vers 14:06,
> >>
> >> Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> disait:
> >>
> >> Some other random questions:
> >>  - It seems  that firefox does not handle  CRL unless manually imported,
> >>    correct? This  means that in  most cases already  issued certificates
> >>    are still  vulnerable even revoked. A  quick look seems  to show that
> >>    most software do not handle CRL at all.
> >>  - As a  maintainer of a package that  have generated certificates using
> >>    OpenSSL, how should we handle the issue?
> >>
> >> For the last question, I see several solutions:
> >>  - the user has to read the DSA and handle it himself
> >
> > Since some keys are generated automatically, (e.g. ssh host keys) users
> > will have to regenerate keys,they haven't generated in the first place
> > and might not be aware of their existens.
> > That's bad.
>
> Unless I'm gravely mistaken, SSH keys aren't affected by this
> vulnerability. OpenSSH and OpenSSL are separate, and your ssh program
> generated its own keys.

As stated in the DSA:
»Affected keys include SSH keys, OpenVPN keys, DNSSEC keys, and key
material for use in X.509 certificates and session keys used in SSL/TLS
connections.  Keys generated with GnuPG or GNUTLS are not affected,
though.«

Keep smiling
yanosz