Re: securing server

Jean-Paul Lacquement un jour écrivit:
Hi,

I plan to secure my Debian stable (or testing if you say it's better) server.

The followings daemon are installed :
- proftpd
- apache2
- ssh

If you need to offer a public ftp access, and that you don't need all the features of proftpd, I would suggest you to use vsftpd instead.

vsftpd is probably the most secure ftp server currently available, It is extremely easy to configure and also happens to be one of the most efficient ftp server.

If you need authenticated connexions, as previously mentionned, sftp is probably your best solution, as the FTP protocol is inherently insecure.

For the rest, I think people have already pointed out the most important packages and documentation, except maybe selinux (but that involve more work, and is probably only relevant once the other suggestions have been taken care of).

Simon Valiquette