Re: securing server

Am Mittwoch, den 07.05.2008, 19:39 +0800 schrieb Abdul Bijur
Vallarkodath:

> haha.  not really!  if u have really managed an online server u'd have
> seen tons of attacks and login attempts on your default ports by bots
> looking around for weaker systems.

But what you suggest doesn't increase the security. It just reduces the
noise you see.

> This is hence especially helpful, I myself have seen these bot attacks
> reduce to almost zero once i had changed the port numbers of various
> services on my system.

Noise reduction. Why do you think you are more safe with a vulnerable
(or weakly password protected) service on a non-standard port than on a
standard port?

Regards, Daniel