Re: securing server

Jean-Paul Lacquement wrote:
Hi,

I plan to secure my Debian stable (or testing if you say it's better) server.

I already did the followings:
- installed chkrootkit
- installed fail2ban (for ssh and proftpd)
- allow only one user (not root) via /etc/ssh/sshd_config, only ssh v2

The followings daemon are installed :
- proftpd
- apache2
- ssh

Would you please list me which packages to install and which rules to apply ?

Many thanks,
Jean-Paul

Hi

Just remember less (installed software) means more security. So go for the minimalist installation achievable.

You may also want to look at software like

rkhunter
aide
logwatch
logcheck
checksecurity
tiger
unhide

Modsecurity for apache (1&2)

If you using SNMP, natuarally V3 would be a good idea

If you using ftp, cant you opt for ssh rather, you can even use chroot for ssh.

I always use testing. And have had great success. (Recently, I was able to achieve PCI compliancy)

O, for ssh password as some ASCII too example.

tryAnd_H4ckTh1s5

I dont see the need to iptables rules, but in case you do have the need, rather look at xtables.
http://jengelh.medozas.de/projects/xtables/

All the best
Brent Clark