Re: securing server

In article <[🔎] fa218e630805070209x1c5837cbs6b33c32bf3e2b4b9@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> I already did the followings:
> - installed chkrootkit
> - installed fail2ban (for ssh and proftpd)

Beware of DOS.

> - allow only one user (not root) via /etc/ssh/sshd_config, only ssh v2

If you have multiple administrators, you should not do that.

> Would you please list me which packages to install and which rules to apply ?

There are some hardening packages to look for. Beside that you should review
all running processes and turn those off which you dont need (X11 related,
rpc, hotplug stuff, etc)

Besides that, what applications you plan to run?

Gruss
Bernd