Re: Apache "DDOS" with random number request

It sounds liek your app, or a combination of the modules you're using is more likely what's running Apache out of memory. mod_security could be used to check for requests that contain just a numeric path to GET, but I'd investigate why your app/configuration is causing an OOM error. Could it be you've got MaxClients set too high and the clients are holding connections open after the fact?

There are many possibilities at this point, many of which (most) have nothing to do with apache but with local configuration and options.