Adding LDAP netgroup access control to pam_access.so via access.conf

I'm trying to apply access controls to a Debian Sarge (libc6) system using netgroups that have been added to LDAP. LDAP Authentication already works. The /etc/nsswitch.conf file has the line "netgroup: ldap". I can also use getent to show me the netgroup triples that I want to see. I feel pretty confident that I have properly distributed the netgroup map to the client via LDAP.

What's not working is applying netgroups as an access control mechanism. I added the following to /etc/security/access.conf:

+ : root : LOCAL
+ : @sysadmins : ALL
- : ALL : ALL

I also uncommented the line "account required pam_access.so" in /etc/pam.d/login. I've been testing with ssh access. I tried restarting sshd. I also restarted nscd after making changed.

The net effect is that there are still no access controls.

I may be missing something, but I can't figure out what it is. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

  --Bruce