Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 1576-1] New openssh packages fix predictable randomness

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 14. Mai 2008 schrieb Florian Weimer:

> Package        : openssh
> Vulnerability  : predictable random number generator
> Problem type   : remote
> Debian-specific: yes
> CVE Id(s)      : CVE-2008-0166
>
> The recently announced vulnerability in Debian's openssl package
> (DSA-1571-1, CVE-2008-0166) indirectly affects OpenSSH.  As a result,
> all user and host keys generated using broken versions of the openssl
> package must be considered untrustworthy, even after the openssl update
> has been applied.
[...]

> 3. Check all OpenSSH user keys
[...]
>    Check whether your key is affected by running the ssh-vulnkey tool,
> included in the security update.  By default, ssh-vulnkey will check the
> standard location for user keys (~/.ssh/id_rsa, ~/.ssh/id_dsa and
> ~/.ssh/identity), your authorized_keys file (~/.ssh/authorized_keys and
>    ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2), and the system's host keys
>    (/etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key and /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key).
>
>    To check all your own keys, assuming they are in the standard
>    locations (~/.ssh/id_rsa, ~/.ssh/id_dsa, or ~/.ssh/identity):
>
>      ssh-vulnkey

I took a look at it and found two large blacklist containing lots of keys -
but no info on how these lists are generated - that makes me wonder:

Afair DSA keys ought to be considered compromised, even if they aren't
generated by a broken libssl - so what's the sense in here?

For the RSA part:
Is it possible that file contains non-broken keys or that broken keys are not
listed? What's the criteria for RSA-keys to be listed?

Thanks,
Keep smiling
yanosz