Re: securing server

Steve schrieb:
Le 07-05-2008, à 17:34:08 +0800, Abdul Bijur Vallarkodath (abdulbijur@gmail.com) a écrit :

   just my two pence.

and my two centimes.

   *  Change the ports of most ports like ssh, ftp, smtp, imap etc. from the
   default ones to some other ones.

>From my poor understanding of security related issues, I guess this is
totally useless since any (good) port scanner will defeat this without
any problem. Remember, security by obscurity is a bad idea.

Used solely you are right, but used in addition to usual other securing mechanisms it can help against zero-day attacks, which only shoot exploits to well-known ports.