Re: securing server

haha.  not really!  if u have really managed an online server u'd have seen tons of attacks and login attempts on your default ports by bots looking around for weaker systems.

This is hence especially helpful, I myself have seen these bot attacks reduce to almost zero once i had changed the port numbers of various services on my system. Now, you are talking about someone sitting and concentrating on your machine, thats a diff story all together. isn't it? you are smart, you should have known all this.

Abdul

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Steve <dlist@bluewin.ch> wrote:
Le 07-05-2008, à 17:34:08 +0800, Abdul Bijur Vallarkodath (abdulbijur@gmail.com) a écrit :

>    just my two pence.

and my two centimes.

>    *  Change the ports of most ports like ssh, ftp, smtp, imap etc. from the
>    default ones to some other ones.

>From my poor understanding of security related issues, I guess this is
totally useless since any (good) port scanner will defeat this without
any problem. Remember, security by obscurity is a bad idea.

--
Steve