Re: securing server

Just too many things.

For example,

Use update-rc.d or sysv-rc-conf to disable unwanted daemons

Edit /etc/security/limits.conf

logcheck

use integrit/aide/tripwire

configrue firewall (via shorewall or iptables directly)

etc.

You may consider chroot.

It's a good idea to read through securing debian howto

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/