Re: apt-get may accept inconsistent data

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 01:03:33AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> I ment what Release file. Because the etch security one does have the
> md5sums of Packages in it.

This has been modified too and the md5sum listed for the packages
file has changed.

> > apt-get sends a http GET request for Packages.bz2. Part of this
> > request is this information:
> >
> >   Cache-Control: max-age=0  If-Modified-Since: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:15:01 GMT

Cache-Control: max-age=0
If-Modified-Since: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:15:01 GMT

If apt-get would send this instead, squid would work as expected:

Cache-Control: must-revalidate
If-Modified-Since: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:15:01 GMT

a possible workaround is use "apt-get update" with additional option:

apt-get update -o "Acquire::http::No-Cache=True"

> Apt-get should not even send an "If-Modified" query imho. After
> fetching the Release file is already knows with near certainty if the
> local file is current or not. It should check the Checksums of the
> local file and then either keep it or fetch it. Asking
> If-Modified-Since can only lead to triggering a bug like the squid
> one.

You are right. There is no need to ask any proxy and to rely on the
answer, because apt-get should be able to find out what to do.

--
Stefan Tichy   ( dlist at pi4tel dot de )