RE: [SECURITY] [DSA 1503-1] New Linux kernel 2.4.27 packages fix several issues

I have noticed very similar things with one of my boxes which was
upgraded to the latest 2.4.27 kernel.  Sometimes, it would even hang
when running depmod from the modutils init script when booting.  I did
some troubleshooting, and found that the older kernel boots fine.
Moving some modules out to a different directory allowed the system to
boot.  But it would eventually hang after a few hours, sometimes after
only minutes.  Like you indicated - ping would work.  But there was
nothing in the logs on the screen for me.

I had other systems upgraded to this kernel too, and they seem ok.  Most
use ext3.  However one does use ext2, and so far it has been ok.  The
system giving me problems is a VM running inside of VMWare Server.  I
was thinking the issue may have been with VMWare.

I may consider trying to go to ext3 to see if that improves things.

Jase