Re: Why not have firewall rules by default?

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Rolf Kutz wrote:
> On 23/01/08 08:29 -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
>> It's better to leave the service disabled, or even better, completely
>> uninstalled from a security standpoint, and from a DoS standpoint as
>> well. The Linux kernel isn't very efficient at processing firewall
>> rules.  Newer
>
> I thought it was very efficient in doing so. YMMV.

Quite the contrary. It is *dog* *slow* for non-trivial firewalls.  You have
to use a number of tricks to optimize the rule walk (many tables, hashing,
etc), and anything that reduces the number of rules (like IPSet) is a major
performance bonus.

Or you can rip the standard netfilter firewall out, and install a
high-performance one (such as HiPAC), but those are mostly unmaintained
these days, and have a lot less features than the standard one.

You need to be doing some *heavy* firewalling (many rules) for any of that
to really matter, and on very fast links (gigabit) because nobody will
notice the firewall's speed on something as a 10Mbit/s link...

  Henrique Holschuh