Re: ping22: can not kill this process

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:30:18 +0100 Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@lina.inka.de>
wrote:

> why do you think it is named shm? it is used for shm_open and
> shm_unlink.
> (where glibc used temporary files to mmap them)

Ah, I see.  I have never come across a program (yet) that uses it for
shared memory.  Perhaps I'm just running the wrong programs.

> On some systems (like mine) tmp is a symlink to it, or you use a
> second instance of tmpfs. However is still is used for share memory
> (only).

Actually, some things use /dev/shm for non-shared-memory purposes.
Like the resolvconf package.

--
Hubert Chathi <uhoreg@debian.org> -- Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA         http://www.uhoreg.ca/