Re: large campus network ... sugestions

Hello Adrian,

I do not consider myself an expert, so maybe I shouldn't be replying to the whole list, but maybe my little knowledge can be completed by someone else.

Maybe you could authenticate users through the proxy against an LDAP with user and password or even through certificates with a RADIUS server.

When limiting access to only certain protocols, if the users have the interest it's very probable that they will start tunneling (which is what seems to be happening already) by using the means you talk about or, if they can install software on the computers, tunneling SSH by using Corkscrew.  Once SSH is tunneled, almost anything can be tunneled through SSH.

Maybe others can shed some more light on this, or even propose more adequate ideas and/or solutions.

Best regards,

Jonas Andradas