Re: PCI vulnerability scan - PHP4 on Sarge

Actually, the problem is the outside party that was hired to
run nessus and then not removing false positives. ( or in rare cases
they use a commercial product but after using a few different companies
to do scans in my experience they use nessus as the commercial products
have licenses that are hard to use as a third party.)

Most of these scans rely on versions of installed products, and
often use the banner provided by the software.

So there are almost always false positives.

This happens with stable versions of debian frequently as fixes are
often  added but newer version of software are not backported.

Whomever is doing your scan needs to provide  which CVEs that
are the problem and then you can show they have false positives by
looking at the CVEs that have been fixed in the version you are running.

You need to show them that you have policies in place to do routine
updates within 30 days of the Vendor (Debian) announcing a fix.

You also need to show that you actually follow the policies that you
have in place.