Re: debsums: no md5sums for a lot of important packages on sarge

"Alexandros Papadopoulos" <apapadop@alumni.cmu.edu> writes:

> My question is, is it acceptable to have so many important and
> widely used packages in *stable* without MD5 checksums?

MD5 checksums aren't mandatory, so quite a few packages don't have
them.  We hope to change this for future releases, but the number of
affected packages is still too important to make it a release goal.
See the following page for up-to-date statistics:

  http://people.debian.org/~rfrancoise/md5sums-check/

(They apply to sid, not etch.)

I set this up back in August:

  http://blog.orebokech.com/2007/08/debian-packages-without-md5sums.html