Re: tripwire's default policy

On Sunday 04 March 2007 22:02:48 Jim Popovitch wrote:

> > If so, why is it included by default?
>
> There are probably a host of reasons, I point the finger at the pack
> maintainer leaning more towards the side of security than insecurity.

Forgive me for insisting.
So, there *are* security issues related. Do you (or anyone else) know what
they might be?

I know debian's policy is to follow upstream if dd's can't reach a consensus
(I remember reading in some lists' archives that this argument ended some
polemic in some ssh(d)'s config options).

However, I got the source of the same version (2.3.1-2) from sourceforge and
it's clearly different, in that it only checks for some specific files
in /proc, as oposed to everything. For information's sake, I paste them
below.

So I'm guessing dd's had a good reason for doing this, even though it's
annoying. Am I missing something? Am I just hitting an old dead dog here?

regards
FF