Re: Mass update deployment strategy

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 00:38 +0200, Mikko Rapeli wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 03:52:40PM -0500, Morgan Walker wrote:
> > There is also a package called cron-apt which will automatically update
> > your debian machines and send you an email regarding what it updated.
>
> And upgraded, if you really trust your package sources:
>
> $ cat /etc/cron-apt/action.d/9-dist-upgrade
> dist-upgrade -y -V -u -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confold
>
> -Mikko

Maybe this is not as fine-grained as you want it to be..
for instance, suppose only one file changes for the given machine.
Is it really necessary to update the package? Is it certain that the
service, that needs the file for e.g. its configuration, will be
restarted?
Also, you have no monitoring tools about the current state of your
machine(s). What if developers/administrators change files on the
servers but forget to update the packages relating to it. These changes
will be lost without anyone knowing it (or knowing it too late).
I use Puppet for a configuration propagation tool. It has no stable
release yet, but imho vs. cfengine, it has a smoother language (more
uniform), and gives more abstraction to the system. Also the language
itself is easier to use, and therefore more easier to generate by using
scripts.

- Koen Vereeken