Re: ignored redirects

also sprach Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> [2006.11.03.1227 +0100]:
> >   net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects = 0
>
> That looks like overkill, see below.

Right, it may not be needed, but it's probably not overkill to
disable a feature, is it? :)

I do the above on all my machines.

> No. icmp redirect is only honored when it redirects to another host in
> your subnet.  Unless you have a really large subnet, this looks like
> nonsense.  The kernel will ignore it if it redirects you outside of your
> subnet.

So is this what these messages are about, and would it look
different if someone tried a valid redirect that would be ignored
due to my configuration?

Sorry, I currently only have one functional machine in my test
network. :/

NP: Friends of Dean Martinez / Music from Time & Space (Volume 0)