kernel-image meta packages to sarge installer (was Re: security support for kernel-image-2.4.27-2-XXX discontinued?)

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 02:06:24PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Mikko Rapeli wrote:
> > Why isn't kernel-image-2.[4, 6]-[386, 686...] installed by the
> > installer, since it is required for kernel security support?
>
> We didn't think to do that until too late for sarge.

Is it too late or too much work to update in a point release too?

It seems that d-i's sarge/packages/base-installer/debian/postinst function
get_arch_kernel returns a metapackage name for most archs but that
information is perhaps lost somewhere in the quite complicated processing
of pick_kernel and install_kernel. Even
sarge/packages/rootskel/debian/templates-arch fallback for
debian-installer/kernel/image[-2.6] selection could perhaps be a
metapackage name if - as it seems - it's only fed to apt-get (after
checkin that matches an available package name, of course).

> > If this is just a sarge thing, could linux-image-2.6-[386...] be
> > installed by default in etch?
>
> It is.

Great!

-Mikko