Re: Target filesystem

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 07:47:45AM -0400, Brent Clark wrote:

> I seem to be experiencing problems booting up (Thank goodness for Knoppix)
Why not just a Debian rescue CD?

> There are a host of errors, but the end message is:
> Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
I think your kernel just get a wrong device for root filesystem, i.e.
the actual root fs is on, say, /dev/hdX and the kernel uses /dev/hdY
(which is readable, but not root, e.g. /var, /usr or whatever).

> Would anyone know how to force this to work?
> From what I gather it cant detect the filesystem (think its a modprobe
> problem)
Since you have offered next to zero information about your problem, I
may just guess:
1) You have a stock kernel but no initrd specified in boot
configuration.
2) Your kernel gets wrong root fs.

I think against the "can't detect filesystem" idea because a device with
unknown filesystem is unmountable.

P.S.
You should definitely provide more info about your setup. Telepathic
skills are not common among people.